Babu gives tips on GHMC Elections

The Telugu Desam president, Mr N. Chandrababu Naidu, is insisting on high standards for the party’s would-be corporators’ in the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation.

“You should be out by 6 am and preferably walk and visit your respective divisions to ensure that they are clean and green,” Mr Naidu advised the TD candidates.

The TD chief was talking to them when they called on him. He asked them to strive hard for their victory and assured to support them.

He is also arranging a five-day spiritual discourse by Swami Chidatmananda for party leaders, GHMC candidates and other activists at the NTR Trust Bhavan from Wednesday.

“The swamiji will unravel the secrets of power on how to achieve success,” said Mr P. Raghurama Rao, CEO of NTR Trust Bhavan.

The TD president further told them that they should ensure that their surroundings were clean and sanitation was up to the mark. “If you find the surroundings unclean, take it to the notice of officials immediately. You should be available to the people at their beck and call. The TD is known for keeping the city clean and green,” he added.

Mr Naidu, who is busy with the party’s election manifesto, is also trying to involve the residents of Hyderabad in the mega task.

The party sent thousands of SMSes to people seeking their suggestions on the problems in their respective divisions. “The TD invites you to highlight your division’s problems for the manifesto. Take photographs of problem areas and upload them at http://www.ghmc.in. Also register to serve the TD,” the SMS said.

Before finalising the party nominees, Mr Naidu also asked people to name their choice of candidates in their respective municipal divisions.

However, it is unclear if the party had received the names and if it had taken the suggestions before finalising the candidates’ names.

Mr Naidu maintained that he has complete details of every candidate and he had taken all aspects into consideration including their status in their respective divisions and their character before finalising the names.

Sources said the TD president has discussed the manifesto issue with the senior party leaders, particularly city leaders and promised to bring back the past glory of Hyderabad in the international arena

US official woos city students

HYDERABAD: The US government is making the visa process smoother for students by giving them priority and adding staff and resources at the Consulate here, Janice L Jacobs, assistant secretary of consular affairs, US department of state, said on Monday.

Jacobs, who was interacting with students of St Mary’s College, said the US Consulate in Hyderbad had issued more than 4,000 student visas so far this year and hoped that this number would considerably increase over the following years.

Speaking about the benefits of studying in the US, Jacobs said: “The United States has more than 4,000 educational institutions with immense variety in size, location, type and programmes. There is something for everyone.” She also spoke about the several scholarships on offer for international students that students could avail of in order to apply to the various American universities.

PCC chief post likely for Jagan

The Congress high command is planning to appoint the Kadapa MP, Mr Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy, as the president of the Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee.

Sources said that a meeting of the Congress Legislature Party will be called only after the son of the late YSR is elevated as the PCC chief. The Central leadership wants the young MP to work in the organisation like his late father, who had brought the Congress back to power after 10 years.

It is believed that the post of PCC chief will give Mr Jagan Mohan Reddy the proper profile as a leader and will prepare the way for his ascension to the top post. As of now, the high command does not want to disturb the current administrative setup put in place after the tragic death of YSR.

The party has become stronger in the state after the Lok Sabha and Assembly elections of April-May and the high command wants it to remain so. “Mr Jagan Mohan Reddy has a future if he waits for some time and emerges as a leader in his own right,” said a source.(DC)

All new Google search ready to roll out

Codename ‘Caffeine’

As you already know, search giant Google is working on a super secret project called ‘Google Caffeine’, which was revealed to be a new version of the Google search engine.

It was revealed today that Google Caffeine will go live in its first datacenter soon. The new Caffeine splash page says it all. Here’s the full text: ‘Based on the success we’ve seen, we believe Caffeine is ready for a larger audience. Soon we will activate Caffeine more widely, beginning with one data center. This sandbox is no longer necessary and has been retired, but we appreciate the testing and positive input that webmasters and publishers have given.’

So there you have it, Caffeine is ready to go live on google.com soon, starting with one datacenter. But you don’t need to worry since Caffeine would not change the look and the user interface of google’s homepage. Caffeine basically provides an overhaul of the architecture of Google’s web search that would improve its indexing speed, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. One thing is for sure, we will see important changes to search results coming soon.

Last month Google rolled out the social search features which combines results from your friends’ blogs, Flickr, Twitter, FriendFeed, and a heck of a lot of other social media sites with Google’s regular search results. Will Caffeine lean towards social media as well? Google also announced the $750 million-worth purchase of AdMob, the company whose profile will significantly help Google in establishing itself as a mobile advertising giant. The next generation of Google Search is easily the most anticipated change on the web. According to some testers, the search engine in the new Google is not only faster, but in some instances seems more capable of producing real-time results.

Here’s what Google had written on its blog a few weeks ago, ‘For the last several months, a large team of Googlers has been working on a secret project: a next-generation architecture for Google’s web search. It’s the first step in a process that will let us push the envelope on size, indexing speed, accuracy, comprehensiveness and other dimensions. The new infrastructure sits “under the hood” of Google’s search engine, which means that most users won’t notice a difference in search results. But web developers and power searchers might notice a few differences, so we’re opening up a web developer preview to collect feedback.’

6 months jail for driving while talking on mobile

If you’re in the habit of talking endlessly on your mobile phone while driving your vehicle, you’re in for a rough time thanks to to a new rule by the government.

As per the new rule, if you’re caught while talking on your cell phone you could be charged Rs 2,000 as fine or even sent to prison for 6 months, and both if you tick off the cop enough. Also your driving licence would effectively be suspended for a total of six months.

And for those smart Alecs looking for a loophole in the rule, reading or sending text messages is forbidden as well, so is the use of mobile hands-free headsets. “A high-powered committee has already accepted these measures to curb dangerous driving on roads,” a senior transport ministry official said.

The ministry is expected to come out with a notification for the same in the next few days, so you can expect the traffic police to enforce the provisions soon. According to the ministry, a sub section, titled 183A will be included in the Motor Vehicle Act. The joint secretary in the ministry S K Dash had said at a recent meeting on road safety, “Section 183 of MVA will define the mobile phone and also specify penalties for talking on phone while driving.”

There is already a fine for using mobile phones while driving, and Delhi Traffic Police’s website has already included using mobile phone while driving as an offence and the penalty is Rs 1,000. Also, according to BJP MP Venkaiah Naidu and the Committee of Petition those caught using mobiles while driving be fined for the first three offences. For the next two transgressions, they could be fined with `negative remarks’ and finally, the licence could be suspended for six months if caught for a sixth time.

FBI gets 60 days to file charges against headley

FBI gets 60 days to file charges against headley
Washington, Nov 11: A court has given 60 days to FBI to complete its probe and file an indictment into the foiled terror plot in India and Denmark by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

 

Chief Judge James F Holderman has extended till Jan 1, 2010, to file indictment for US national David Coleman Headley, arrested along with Canadian citizen of Pakistani-origin Tahawwur Hussain Rana by FBI on charges of plotting terror attack in India.

“This court finds that the ends of justice served by extension weigh the best interest of the public and the defendant in a speedy trial, because the failure to grant such an extension would deny the government the reasonable time necessary for effective preparation of the evidence for presentation to the Grand Jury, taking into account the exercise of due diligence,” Judge Holderman said in his order.

Earlier, FBI had requested the court to give it more time to complete the investigation and file the indictment.

80 trawlers missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea

80 trawlers missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea

Ahmedabad, Nov 11: Around 80 fishing trawlers are missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea, organisations of fisherman along India’s west coast said on Wednesday, Nov 11.

“Fifty fishing boats with a total estimated complement of about 500 fishermen are still out at sea and are on the path of the cyclone headed this way,” Gopal Tandel, president of the Daman Machimar Sangh (fishermen’s association) said.

Daman is a small coastal enclave on the Gujarat coast.

“There were about 80 boats out fishing but about 30 of them have either returned or are on their way back,” Tandel added.

According to Administrator of the union territory of Daman, Satya Gopal, the Coast Guard authorities had sent out a Dornier aircraft to warn fishing boats to return.

He said that over the last three days, special warnings were being put out by the administration advising fishermen against venturing out to sea.

Goa Coast Guard Commandant N Saxena said, “Our patrol vessels are already on the lookout for the trawlers. We have also pressed a lookout aircraft into the operation, which will scan the sea off Goa in search of the missing trawlers.”