I have not done anything against law: Nityananda

Chennai, Mar7 (PTI) Self-styled godman Nityananda Swami, who is at the centre of a controversy after his alleged sleazy acts was telecast on TV channels, today claimed that he had not done anything illegal and against law.

“Neither the ashram nor I did anything that is against the law. We will find out the truth and will come back to you very soon. Till then please be patient,” he said in a video clip.

The CD of him speaking before a camera at an undisclosed location was sent through his lawyer and circulated to select media.

Nityananda said he was in the process of collecting details with regard to the charges and allegations levelled against him. The contents of his speech were telecast by a private Tamil Satellite Channel.

-PTI

Indian man arrested and charged over death of toddler

Melbourne: A 23-year-old Indian man was on Sunday arrested and charged over the death of an Indian toddler, whose dumped body was found three days ago in a Melbourne suburb.

Sources said that the wife of Dhillon Gursewak, who has been arrested, is likely to be charged for helping her husband in disposing off the toddler’s body.

Gursewak, who lived in the same house as the three-old boy Gurshan Singh Channa and his parents from Punjab, has been charged with manslaughter due to criminal negligence and appeared in an out-of-sessions hearing at St Kilda Road police complex, local media reports said.

Police also said Gursewak, a part-time taxi driver, was not a relative of the toddler though they lived in the same house.

“The court heard Dhillon allegedly put the unconscious Channa in the boot of a car and drove around for three hours. It is alleged he then dumped him on the side of a road without checking if he was alive,” an Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) report said.

Dhillon was refused bail and will reappear in the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

Channa’s body was found by a council worker on Thursday night, six hours after he disappeared from a rented property shared by his parents with friends and family here. A total of 12 people lived in the house.

Channa was in Australia on a holiday along with his parents

An initial autopsy on the child was inconclusive.

A family friend, who was with the couple, said police were very close to completing their investigation. “Police are very close to the person… who has done the crime.”

‘The Age’ earlier said it was believed investigation was focussing on the 12 adults who had access to the house in David Street, Lalor, from where Gurshan disappeared.

Detectives released details of a car that was seen in the area where the boy’s body was discovered.

They were looking for information or any sightings of a green VR or VT Commodore that was spotted in the area around St Johns and Wildwood roads on Thursday afternoon

Infant booked for stealing power

KANPUR: The Kesco and Bajariya police have made a major goof-up. They have booked a two-and-a-half-year-old boy for power theft. A native of Rae Bareli, he had been sent to stay at his grand-parents place in Colonelganj in February when he was ‘found guilty’ of power theft and an FIR lodged against him. His much-shocked family will knock the doors of court soon to get justice.

According to reports, the boy identified as Shahnawaz, son of a motor mechanic Shamshad, a resident of Rae Bareli, had come to his grandmother Shamim Bano’s house in Pani Ki Tanki locality, Colonelganj, on February 3. Kesco officials lodged an FIR under Power Theft Act against him and seven others with the Bajariya police following a drive against illegal `katiya’ connections on the same day. Bajariya police informed that the FIR had been lodged by Ek Dhar Charan, junior engineer, Kesco, on February 5, 2010.

“Though I am not educated, I don’t think if there is any provision or act in the Constitution of India wherein a boy of 30 months can be booked for an offence. We want the authorities to take up the case at the earliest so that my son gets justice,” claimed an angry Shamshad.

Shamshad said he would submit an application in the court soon. He informed on February 2 his son had been at his grandmother’s house when he was booked by Bajariya police for stealing power.

The others booked were Ram Singh, Kishan Lal, Rajesh, Mahesh Shanker Sharma, Nirdosh Kumar, Aqeel and Daulat Singh.

“We only came to know about the FIR against my son when local police started making rounds of his grandmother’s place,” he said.

When contacted, DIG Prem Prakash expressed surprise over the incident. “An inquiry will be conducted in this matter and action will be taken against the erring officials.”

Getting a passport could soon be hassle free

New Delhi : If long queues outside shoddy passport offices gives you the jitters and, the thought of brokers and touts stops you from getting your passport by right, here is some good news for passport seekers.

Getting a passport will soon be hastle free with the revolutionisation of the current process, which at best, can be described as arduous.

It is learnt that External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna, who hails from IT city Bangalore and, is very tech savvy, is walking that extra mile to facilitate the implementation of the landmark Passport Sewa E- Governance initiative.

Sevety-seven hi-tech state-of-the-art IT-enabled Passport Sewa offices are likely to come up across the country under the new initiative.

Krishna recently inspected two such centers in Bangalore.

The presence of cutting-edge technology such as a centralised IT system, which includes a data centre and a disaster recovery centre to which, all proposed centers will be connected, biometric verification, availability of online services for fixing appointments, three national call centers and a grievance redressel system, status of application via SMS and outsourcing of front-end activities, acquiring a passport will be easier and simpler.

If that”””s not all, the 24×7 national call centre in 17 languages will also be a part of the new project.

The Passport Sewa project is a perfect example of public-private partnership, involving the Ministry of External Affairs and Tata Consultancy Services.

Keeping in view security and sensitivity, the MEA has not surrendered sovereign functions to the TCS and has only outsourced front-end activities.

If fully implemented, then a passport can be got in three days following police verification. Tatkal applicants could get the passport the same day. Currently, it takes around 30 to 45 days for non-Tatkal passports and a minimum of seven days for getting a Tatkal-routed passport.

Under the proposed system, the number of public dealing counters will also increase from the current figure of 345 to 1250. Public dealing hours will also increase from four to seven hours.

According to sources, new centres could come up at Gurgaon, Vijayawada, Tirupati, Hubli, Dharwad, Mangalore, Baroda, Rajkot, Kottayam, Hoshiarpur, Ludhiana, Ambala, Varanasi, Kanpur, Jodhpur and Sikar etc.

Although the project looks impressive, it also has its share of problems and challenges.

The IT-enabled project could leave many passport officials out of work. Already, unions in passport offices have opposed the proposal. The other big challenge will be to train underskilled MEA staff on cutting-edge technology  

(ANI)

World’s smallest ever baby boy weighs only 9oz

London: A baby boy born in Germany has become the world’s smallest ever, weighing just nine ounces at birth.

The baby, who is said to be smaller than a can of coke, was born after just 25 weeks, and he was so little at birth that a tape measure laid next to his body was wider than his limbs.

Doctors in Germany had been convinced the baby, delivered by Caesarean section at the University of Medicine at Goettingen in June 2009, would not survive but refused to give up hope.

A spokesman for the university said that doctors were “extremely proud” of the boy and the parents were overjoyed.

“This was an incredible fight for life,” Sky News Online quoted the spokesman as saying.

Now at eight months, medics have released a picture of the baby, who they are confident is strong enough to make it through.

The most premature baby to have survived, a girl born in Miami, America in 2004, is believed to have been born after 21 weeks.

Experts on medical ethics advise doctors not to resuscitate babies born before 23 weeks in the womb, and doctors do not expect babies weighing less than 12oz to survive.

More than 80,000 babies are born prematurely in Britain every year and half need to be treated in intensive care. (ANI)

Neil tells SRK to shut up

“Never again!” Neil Nitin Mukesh shudders at the very thought of the way he was forced to misbehave on stage with Shah Rukh Khan — by Shah Rukh Khan himself.

Trust Shah Rukh to espouse irreverence. But Neil hasn’t been able to get over it. Katrina Kaif and Bipasha Basu were in a state of shock after Neil’s outburst on stage against Shah Rukh Khan at the Filmfare awards.

Two days after Neil told co-hosts Shah Rukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan to just plainly and simply shut up on stage at the Filmfare Awards at Yashraj studios, the debate rages in the film industry.

Was the well-behaved blue-eyed-boy’s aggressive impudence towards his superstar seniors on Neil’s home turf (he’s known as a full-on Yashraj boy) for real? Or was it just an act?

To rewind a bit: At the Filmfare awards, co-hosts Shah Rukh and Saif Ali Khan decided to take on Neil on stage, riling him endlessly. The final straw was the digs that Shah Rukh took at Neil’s name.

“Neil,” said Shah Rukh, “Why do you have three first names and no surname? My name is Khan. Saif too is a Khan. How come you have no last name?”

Neil couldn’t take the slight to his family name. He not-so-gently reminded Shah Rukh that he ought to restrain himself because his, Neil’s, father was sitting in the audience.

And then, horror of horrors, he told Shah Rukh to just shut up.

There was an uncomfortable silence in the auditorium.

Recalling the incident with an uncomfortable laugh, Neil said: “I’m still shaking. Imagine me telling Shah Rukh Khan to shut up! But I did. That isn’t all. At the end of the show I walked up to Shah Rukh and Saif and broke eggs on their heads.”

But relax. It was all part of an act.

“It was all planned by Shah Rukh sir. I was told by the organisers, the Moranis, from beforehand that I was supposed to be part of Shah Rukh’s act. I was supposed to reach early and rehearse for it. But as luck would have it I had gone to town to pick up my parents and got stuck in the traffic. By the time I reached the venue there was only time for a quick briefing on what I had to do.”

Shah Rukh walked up to Neil and quickly told him the plan on stage.

Neil was aghast. “How could I say shut up to Shah Rukh Khan? I’ve never been rude even to my driver. But he insisted. He also told me to throw eggs at him and Saif at the end of the show. I begged and pleaded to spare me. But Shah Rukh didn’t listen.”

Neil did his own on-the-spot improvisation on stage to spare himself the aggravated agony. “Instead of throwing the eggs I walked up to Saif and Shah Rukh and broke the eggs on their heads. How could I throw eggs at them? Their fans would never forgive me!”

After the act Neil’s shocked father has still not forgiven his son, although he has been told it was all in jest.

Says Neil: “Bipasha rushed to me and said if it was an act then it was really scary. Katrina stormed up to me after the show and told me to apologize to Shah Rukh, at once.”

Laughing nervously, Neil re-lived the trauma of being forced to be rude to a hero he worships.

“I’m glad people finally got to see my mischievous side… But no thanks. Never again.”

‘Microsoft to launch social networking phone in U.S.’

Microsoft lost its smartphone market after the launch of Apple’s iPhone, Blackberry and numerous devices running Google’s Android

Software giant Microsoft is to launch its own mobile phones in the U.S. later this year as it aims to challenge the growing smartphone dominance of its main rivals Apple and Google, the technology blog Gizmodo reported Friday.

The phones will be made available in July exclusively on Verizon, the largest cellphone carrier in the U.S., and will be aimed at heavy users of social networks, said the report, which featured what it said were leaked images from the phones’ marketing campaign. The two phones are codenamed Pink and Pure, and will be manufactured for the software giant by Sharp, the report said.

The report came after Microsoft last month unveiled a new mobile operating system that was widely praised by technology pundits.

Microsoft used to enjoy a leading position in the smartphone arena but has seen its position severely eroded by Apple’s iPhone, by the Blackberry and by numerous devices running Google’s Android operating system.